Cannabis contains two major classes of chemicals: tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, and cannabidiol, or CBD. THC has become shorthand for the main “ingredient” in cannabis, but that’s not entirely true. There are more than 100 cannabinoid compounds in hemp, many of which are types of THC. Each of them differs slightly in its chemical formula.
Delta-8 THC is emerging as one of the more popular cannabis products on the market. The cannabinoid has a unique chemical structure that provides users with similar therapeutic benefits to CBD, with fewer psychoactive effects than THC. Learn what makes delta-8 THC unique and whether it’s the right hemp-derived product for you.
What Is Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC can be thought of as a chemical cousin of delta-9 THC. Delta-8 is naturally found in small quantities in cannabis, but it’s not the primary THC compound. When most people say “THC,” they mean Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol – likely because of its defining psychoactive effects.
Both Delta-8 and Delta-9 have double bonds on their carbon molecules. For Delta-8, the double-bong is found on the 8th carbon molecule, where it’s found on the 9th carbon for Delta-9 – hence the correlating numbers. This slight difference in chemistry proves significant in the effects of Delta-8 THC.
Like Delta-9, Delta-8 crosses into the brain and binds to cannabinoid receptors, providing a mild “high.” However, it’s a much less potent psychoactive effect. Delta-8 THC results in a smoother, milder, and more mellow feeling than Delta-9. This is particularly useful for people who experience anxiety or paranoia when using delta-9 THC.
How to Use Delta-8 THC
Like other hemp derivatives, delta-8 THC can be used in a variety of ways. Delta-8 distillate is typically sold in vape cartridges, tinctures, and edibles.
For experienced cannabis users, Delta-8 THC typically yields a milder high. That is why dosing of Delta-8 is often about twice as high as delta-9 THC products. However, Delta-8 can affect each person differently, so it is wise to begin with a lower dose and increase as needed.
Benefits of Delta-8 THC
Delta-8 THC has several benefits and is often used medicinally, similar to CBD products. Research into its medical benefits is ongoing, and there is much to learn about how Delta-8 is similar to and differs from other cannabinoids.
Some of the user-reported benefits of Delta-8 include:
- It is not psychoactive. Unlike Delta-9 THC found in cannabis, Delta-8 is not psychoactive. This makes it a suitable choice for new cannabis users or experienced users looking for greater mental clarity and a milder experience.
- Anti-anxiety properties. Delta-8 can help decrease anxiety. Unlike Delta-9 THC, Delta-8 is not commonly associated with paranoia or anxiety.
- Increased motivation. Delta-8 THC users often report greater mental clarity and productivity after using the product.
- Decreased nausea. Delta-8 is sometimes recommended as an anti-nausea option for people undergoing chemotherapy or dealing with other chronic health issues.
- Pain regulating. Delta-8 THC stimulates the endocannabinoid system, which is the center of your brain’s natural pain relief system.
- Reduced inflammation. Emerging evidence suggests that Delta-8 reduces inflammation, which can improve pain and other medical symptoms as well as reduce the risk of certain diseases.
Where to Buy Delta-8
The Hemp Barn is a leading supplier of Delta-8 products, including cartridges, tinctures, and gummy edibles. Delta-8 is a great alternative to typical THC products, which remain illegal in many states. All of the products at the Hemp Barn are derived from hemp, meaning they are legal under the 2018 Farm Bill. To fall under this legal classification, levels of delta-9 THC must be less than 0.3% dry weight. This means that even in states where cannabis is illegal, hemp derivatives may still be purchased and used. Of course, it is prudent to check your state and local laws before purchase.
We offer high-quality delta-8 that is tested for safety and quality. All of our delta-8 products are sourced from a state and federally registered hemp extraction facility. If you’re interested in trying delta-8 THC, place an order at The Hemp Barn today. Our knowledgeable customer service specialists can help you choose the right product for you, so please contact us with any questions.